Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!!! From my Dad's heart to yours

As this is Father's Day, I thought I'd pass on some lessons my Dad taught me. They have served me quite well in life, and I trust they will serve you well also.

  1. Relationships are reality; everything else is perception.
  2. Never miss an opportunity to hug someone and tell them that they are loved.
  3. Commitment is the brick, and faithfulness the mortar, that makes up the building of every relationship.
  4. Don't take yourself too seriously. No one else does.
  5. One good practical joke deserves another.
  6. Sometimes, the only thing on TV worth watching is Looney Tunes.
  7. If Christ is not at the center of your life, then you are very hollow indeed.
  8. Discipline need not be violent, but it does need to be swift, firm, and sure.
  9. It's OK to have favorites, just don't play them too often.
  10. You don't need a lot of stuff to be extremely rich.
  11. It isn't true that true love never dies, for true Love died for you. And me.
  12. Patience is a hard lesson to learn, and a harder one to teach.
  13. When storms come, sit on the porch and watch them. There is wondrous beauty to be seen within a storm.
  14. Family is not defined by blood; it exists within your heart.
Thanks Dad.

I love you, and miss you.

Until we meet again in glory...

2 comments:

Pippi Longstocking said...

This was beautiful. Your Dad was a very wise man, Jerry, and passed many gifts on to you.

Jerry said...

He was a wise man, Karen, and I never appreciated him enough.