Friday, July 10, 2009

Commitment From A Defining Moment

When we look at the definition of commitment, we see words like pledge, obligate, and entrust used. So what does this look like in daily living? How does one LIVE commitment?

Commitment is a decision to stand with someone or something regardless of the outcome. To commit to someone is to decide day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, to walk with them in their life. This shows that you are willing to make yourself available. See, in a REALationship it is not the smartest, or the strongest, or the richest, that makes for a good friend. Friends are found in those who give of themselves to you, and do so continually. To make yourself available is to commit completely to someone.

This need not be a physical presence either. I have a few people that will answer the phone when I call, no matter the time or place. They have decided to make themselves available to me. This does not necessarily force me, or compel me, to make myself available to them. No, it is MY decision to be available for them. My priviledge. I know they have committed to me, and they know I have committed to them.

Life can be so hard sometimes. Suffering is a part of living in this fallen world. To go through the trials and pain that all of us experience is difficult enough. To have to do it alone makes it almost unbearable.

I once heard that the reason you often see teams of horses pulling loads instead of individual horses was because two can handle a load much greater than each can alone. In fact, this example went on to explain that if one horse could pull 10,000 pounds then two could pull as much as 27,000 to 30,000 pounds. Even in something as simple as freight transportation we see a benefit to having someone else help you bear the load. This only can work however if the two horses work together instead of individually. I understand it is not in their nature to do so.

It is not in our nature either.

To commit, we must decide that we will make ourselves available to others.

Commitment is the outward demonstration of an inward decision to change the lives of those around you by being there for them, to make their lives more bearable and to allow them to know that whatever burden comes along that they must endure, they will never have to endure it alone.

Commitment is denying self and deciding to help someone else, even if they may not deserve it.

Do we really deserve those who commit to us? I know I don't.

Who can you touch by deciding, with no other requirements, that you will commit to them?

Whose life can YOU share a defining moment with today?

No comments: